photo home-63.png photo about-52.png photo portfolio-4.png photo contact-51.png

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thrifting Thursday: Consignment shopping at Wertz. Brothers Furniture, Inc.

There are many amazing spots in Los Angeles to score furniture deals. One of my favorites is Wertz. Brothers Furniture, Inc. which is basically a consignment shop. And when I say "shop," I mean two story warehouse with furniture literally stacked to the ceiling. I'm like a kid in a candy store in there. I've been there a few times in the past weeks trying to source a dining table for a client, and every time I go, I see something new.


It's row after row of stacks like this. It can be overwhelming!

I fell in LOVE with this piece but I don't have any place or any need for it.


And hello, $249?? Ridiculous.


I couldn't resist the Greek key detail.


I love seeing all the different types of hardware. I'm becoming a hardware fiend.


Patriotic!


This camelback love seat is identical to an Ethan Allen version for a third of the price. Definitely needs some new fabric love, though.


This armoire would be gorgeous in a Chinoiserie wallpaper dining room...


Or maybe you prefer something more Hollywood Regency...



As I said, it can be totally overwhelming to walk into these places, so here are some tips to get the most out of a thrifting trip whether it's a warehouse like Wertz. Brothers, a flea market or an antiques fair:

1. Go with a SPECIFIC agenda. Exactly what piece are you looking for? Bring along the precise dimensions so you can start ruling things out.

2. Bring a tape measure! Common sense, people.

3. Eat before you go. A case of the hangries can end a shopping trip faster than you can say, "Where's the nearest Chipotle?"

4. Go with an open mind.  Almost anything can be rehabbed, painted or reupholstered. You're looking for shapes not colors/ finishes.

Happy hunting!

xoxo

No comments:

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K