photo home-63.png photo about-52.png photo portfolio-4.png photo contact-51.png

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Summer, We Hardly Knew Ye

Well, that was quick! I'm having a lot of trouble with the idea that the summer of 2011 has come and gone. I never even got to wear the white linen wide legs I bought back in May. What a pity.

Obviously, it's been a looong while since I've checked into the Lemon Mac, so settle in for what's sure to be the longest. post. ever. So many major things happened this summer that I guess the best thing to do is start at the beginning!

When last I left you, we were busy prepping for Anne and Ryan's big day down in Miami in May. The wedding was beautiful (I'm sure everyone has seen the pictures, so you know what I'm talking about) and so much fun. We spent quality time with some of our favorite people in a breathtaking Latin-y setting, danced up a sweaty storm (it was not a good look), exercised poor-ish judgement (you know who you are), then all met up for a slightly awkward breakfast the next day. In short, it was a party to end all parties. We were thrilled to be there.

Back in LA, we had to snap out of Miami mode and focus on selling our house and finding a new one. I'll skip the boring, painful bits and just say we are SO happy with the new place and feel very fortunate we were able to sell the old one so quickly. It was a big adjustment for P. She struggled with the concept and continued to ask us for weeks when we were going back to the old house. "But we left it all alone, Mommy. I don't want it to be all alone," she would say. It was hard not to well up a bit when she said things like that.



Last morning on our old deck

Now she is settled in, has transitioned from her crib to a "big girl" twin sized bed, and has even given up her paci. We were embarrassingly overdue on that one; a visit to the dentist was our motivation. We took a page out of Super Nanny Jo Frost's book and "mailed" them to babies who needed them. In return, the "babies" sent P an obnoxious pink play castle for the backyard as a thank you. I'm pretty sure she would have been just as happy with a cupcake (or maybe that's me I'm talking about...). That was about five weeks ago and she still has some trouble getting to sleep at night, but nothing like those first few days.

And in other big girl news, our P turned three! We had a little shindig at her preschool and it was perfect. A petting zoo, a bouncy castle, grown up drinks for those of age--what more can you ask for, really?




Excited for the party




Bouncin!



Candles, with a few assists




End of the day



Now she's starting back up at school this week with a new big girl bob (totally inspiring me to chop my own), going five days a week instead of her previous two. People keep asking me if I'm excited to have all those afternoons to myself and I'm not sure what the answer is. Some days it's "absolutely", but most days it's "no, we need to slow down, thankyouverymuch!" I will miss Wednesdays at the indoor playground, lunch dates at Starbucks, and Friday afternoon bake-offs. I know we'll always have weekends, but they just don't have that "What will we do with our day today?" feel to them. I suppose that's what "playing hooky with mom" days are meant for.

xoxo

No comments:

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K