photo home-63.png photo about-52.png photo portfolio-4.png photo contact-51.png

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

DIY: Upholstered Lucite Vanity Stool

 I had been looking for a comfortable stool to use when giving P a bath. I had a picture of exactly what I wanted and then, serendipitously, came across this post from Jenny Komenda at Little Green Notebook. (Her blog is a must-read for me--the girl can do it all!) After I saw it, I scoured eBay relentlessly until I found what I was looking for. Enter this stool:



C was scared of it at first (why are men so anti-lucite?), but when I showed him this fun fabric from Spoonflower, he said, "Okay, whatever..."

So here's the process. From start to finish, it took about 15 minutes:

1. First I removed the screws from the underside of the seat. Had some help here from a curious bystander.


In her finest jewels...


2.  Then I washed down the legs with warm soap and water, a tip I learned from Jenny's post (I had been using Windex on a lucite coffee table for years and it turned cloudy.), dried with a towel and presto! Sparkling. 


Yes, the 7 Eleven iced coffee is an essential part of the process.



3. I was pretty lazy about this and did not remove the original vinyl cover. Instead, I just pulled the fabric tight and used a Powershot staple gun to secure at "12 o'clock" and "6 o'clock" over the existing cover. Then, pulling tightly each time, I stapled down pleats all the way around. 




4. When it was stapled down, I trimmed the fabric so I could access the holes where the screws went back in. Then I put it back together. That's it!





The finished product (just ignore my floors--they're being refinished)

Assuming the position
xoxo






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the upholstering job. I love the final result. I have two wingback chairs that I need help with - would you love your advice.
~ Morag

Lemon Macaron said...

I would love to see them! Maybe I can take a look when we're down there? Thanks again for the puzzle for P--she ADORES it! xoxo

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K