photo home-63.png photo about-52.png photo portfolio-4.png photo contact-51.png

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dining Room Update: Painted Glossy Built-In Buffet Revealed!


You might remember awhile back I posted about wanting to paint our fug built-in credenza in the dining room. They are original to our 1924 home (which is ye olde for Los Angeles), and I dealt with a lot of opposition to the idea. People really feel strongly about painting woodwork! I say, if it's not in great shape, change it. 

This is how it used to look in our dining room, which is more of a hallway in our little house. You see it right when you walk in the front door. To me, it was a real eye sore--a monster that ate the room.

BEFORE:


My china didn't even look nice in there...


After about two weeks of sanding, puttying, and multiple coats of Ralph Lauren's Marsh Grass, here it is!

AFTER:


I couldn't me more thrilled with out it turned out! I think the color is just enough of a contrast to the wall color (Farrow and Ball's French Grey) but still "disappears."


We've also replaced quite a bit of our furniture. We have a bit more to go (2 more chairs, which are being made now, artwork, probably a bar car) but I felt like we'd done enough that I could share it with you.


I also ADORE our light fixture. I wanted something traditional with a modern feel that I could also still see the buffet through. Enter this Sandy Chapman fixture that I've long lusted after. I think it's perfection.


Crappy acrylic hardware was replaced with these brass reproduction lovelies.


Hello, my name is Jennifer, and I'm a brass-aholic.


I think our china looks a zillion times better in there, don't you?


My One King's Lane artichokes are sitting pretty for there, right now, but I have something else in mind. All in good time, friends. All in good time...


xoxo




1 comment:

Joanna said...

Omigoodness, the credenza looks amazing. I don't know know HOW you found that color, but. It makes all the difference in the world. To borrow a word from someone with great taste, I'd say it "sings." ;-)
Well done!

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K